Technologies for Africa by Carl Bielenberg
1) Cocoa depodder/sorter
2) Egusi seed shellers
3) Rice threshers, winnowers, parboilers, hullers
4) Maize shellers
5) Low till/no till seeders, cultivators
6) 2 wheel walk behind tractors, cable driven tractors,
and low speed farm to market vehicles.
7) Cereal milling-improved pestles, hammermills, screenless hammermills, and bran separation hammermills
8) Vegetable oil presses - manual ram press,mechanized ram press, steam powered ram press, palm oil expellers.
9) Treadle Irrigation pumps derived from the Bangladesh treadle pump, invented by Gunnar Barnes.
1) Introduced the Kenyan jiko stove to West Africa
2) Developed the “Kosovo” stove for efficient wood
cooking and space heating in low income countries
and refugee situations
3) Developing a small steam electric power plant using
biomass fuel for village electrification.
4) Long term testing of Jatropha Curcas oil fueled diesel
engines in vehicle and stationery applications.
5) Micro hydro turbines including tooling for rapidly
making precision runners
Metal and Woodworking
1) Drill press using auto transmission
2) Locally manufacturable wood and metal lathes
3) Portable sawmill